Declaring wages

To help calculate your premiums, you need to declare annual wages once a year. Follow the steps below.

Every business with an icare Workers Insurance policy needs to declare the amount of wages paid within the year. You're required to lodge a declaration at the end of your workers compensation insurance policy period.

This helps make sure you're paying the right premium and that everyone contributes to the scheme.

Depending on how much you’ve paid in wages during the policy period, your premium for the current policy period may be adjusted. You may be required to pay additional premium, or you may receive a refund.

Once your policy has been renewed, you have up to four months to send us your actual wages.  If you don’t submit your Actual Wages on time, we may increase your wages by 30 per cent.

Watch our policy renewals video to find out more about declaring wages - an important part of your policy renewal.

How to declare your wages

  1. Download and complete the Declaration of Actual Wages form (PDF, 0.2MB)
  2. Email your completed form to:

To avoid processing delays, please scan your completed form in full, in page order, and email it to us as a PDF. Be sure to include your policy number in the subject line of your email.

From time to time, icare conducts audits on wage declarations for current and past policy periods, so it’s in your best interest to send your actual wages in on time.

Learn more about wage audits

Where a payment to a worker (including deemed workers) is made in lieu of wages (regardless of the terminology used to describe that payment), the payment is counted as wages.


Apprentice wages need to be declared separately to those of other workers, because they entitle you to a premium reduction.

Learn more about premium reductions for employers of apprentices


If you have contractors who are deemed workers, include the full contract value (ex GST) in your wages declaration. 

If you know the breakdown of labour, tools, plant and materials include the $value as required; if not, just place an ‘x’ in the appropriate column at Section C of the Declaration of Actual Wages Form and icare will use a default % value of the contract payment. 

What can wages include?

  • salary/wages
  • overtime, shift and other allowances
  • over award payments
  • bonuses, commissions
  • payments to working directors (including directors' fees)
  • payments to pieceworkers
  • payments for sick leave, public holidays and the associated leave loadings
  • value of any substitutes for wages
  • employer paid or payable superannuation contributions (including the superannuation guarantee levy)
  • grossed up value of fringe benefits (allowances subject to fringe benefits tax are counted at the grossed up value, that is the value of the benefit multiplied by the relevant Australian Tax Office fringe benefit formula).
  • long service leave payments (including lump sum payments instead of long service leave)
  • termination payments (lump sum payments in respect of annual leave, long service leave, sick leave and related leave loadings)
  • trust distributions to workers where the distribution is in lieu of wages for work done for the trust.

What's not counted

The following types of payments do not need to be declared as wages:

  • payments to non-working directors
  • compensation payments under the Workers Compensation Act 1987
  • any GST component in a payment to a worker.

The Wages Definition Manual (PDF, 1.1 MB) provides a comprehensive guide of the wages that should be taken into account when declaring wages.

Non-wage based activities

If you're a taxi operator, you'll need to provide the following additional information:

  • a list of plate/s held at the beginning of the period of insurance (including plate number/s)
  • purchase/sale dates of any plate/s that have changed hands in both the previous and current 12 months
  • indicate if a plate/s are metropolitan or country, and the average number of bailee shifts/week per plate.

Please provide this information on the supplementary form available from the NSW Taxi Council or on a separate sheet and then attach it to your Declaration of Actual Wages form.


Non-profit organisations, public benevolent institutions and charities should continue to declare worker benefits that aren't subject to fringe benefits tax at the net value.

Once the worker benefits exceed the Australian Tax Office fringe benefit threshold, the employer must declare the benefit at the grossed-up value.