Hearing impairment payments

If your hearing becomes impaired because of your work environment, you may be entitled to benefits or compensation.

If you are concerned about your hearing, you should consult your general practitioner to obtain a referral to an ear, nose and throat (ENT) specialist.

The ENT specialist must be selected from the State Insurance Regulatory Authority (SIRA) list of approved assessors of permanent impairment for hearing.

Find an assessor

Who is eligible to receive compensation for hearing loss?

What types of compensation can I claim for?

  1. Lump sum
    The entitlement to lump sum compensation for hearing loss changes, depending on your deemed date of injury. 
    For hearing loss with a deemed date of injury on or after 1 January 2002 you may be eligible for a lump sum compensation if you are assessed as having 11 per cent of whole person impairment or more as a result of industrial deafness. A binaural hearing loss of 20.5 per cent equates to 11 per cent permanent impairment.
    Claims for lump sum compensation with a deemed date of injury before 1 January 2002 are payable for an assessed hearing loss of 6 per cent or more binaural hearing loss.Your case manager will be able to check your eligibility based on the assessment completed by the ENT specialist.
  2. Hearing aids
    The entitlement for the provision of hearing aids are not dependent on your level of permanent impairment.

    Check your eligibility

How to make a claim

To make a claim for lump sum compensation for permanent impairment based on hearing loss, you must provide to the employer or insurer with a completed permanent impairment claim form; or if you're an exempt worker, an exempt claimant permanent impairment claim form. You will also need to provide an ENT assessment.

Medical treatment