Volunteering injuries

If you’re a volunteer with a state government agency that we cover, you may be entitled to workers compensation.

This cover is provided by icare Workers Insurance on behalf of icare self insurance, funded by the Treasury Managed Fund.

You'll receive similar benefits and levels of cover as if you were injured in your paid employment.

Who is covered?

Volunteers for the following agencies are covered:

When you’re covered

To be covered, your injury or illness must have occurred while undertaking an authorised activity as a volunteer.

You must have not been receiving remuneration or reward, and should have been performing the activity voluntarily and without obligation.

Claims we cover

Your entitlements

Depending on your circumstances and the nature of your injury, you may be able to claim compensation.

Types of payments

How to claim

To make a claim, you'll need to notify the agency that you were volunteering for and they'll need to sign off on your claim.

It is the agency’s responsibility to lodge the claim on your behalf.

For further information, contact us.

Grief Support

We've put together an information pack for families and friends who have experienced the sudden loss of a loved one.

This information is general in nature and may not apply to the circumstances of your loss. 

If you have questions, or would like a copy of the Grief Support & Information pack, please contact your Case Manager or call us on 1800 221 960 or email wiclaims@icare.nsw.gov.au.

Guidelines and policies

Our legislation, guidelines and policies provide the governing framework that determine how we make decisions.

We seek to change the way people think about insurance and care by providing world class services to people, businesses and communities. What we do and how we operate as a business is framed by government legislation, guidelines and policies.

icare Insurance for NSW

NSW Self Insurance Corporation (SICorp) is a statutory corporation constituted under the NSW Self Insurance Corporation Act 2004 (NSW). Insurance and Care NSW (“icare”) Insurance for NSW provides services (including staff and facilities) and workers compensation for NSW Government workers and volunteers for SICorp under the State Insurance and Care Governance Act 2015 (NSW).

Tagged in: