Notify us that you've been injured at work

If you’re injured at work, there are immediate steps required to initiate a workers compensation claim.

What to do when an injury occurs

If you're injured at work, your first priority is to seek first aid or medical attention if required, and to let your employer know what’s going on as soon as possible.

Your employer must notify their claims service provider of the injury or significant illness within 48 hours of you informing them.

If your employer hasn’t notified their claims service provider of your injury, you or a representative nominated by you (e.g. family member, doctor) can fill out our icare Claim Management form instead, which will notify your employer’s claims service provider. 

If you’re a NSW government employee, your employer will report this incident and make a claim on your behalf. For more information, visit our Making a claim page dedicated to government agencies.

What you'll need to lodge an injury notification

The more detail we have about your injury, the sooner your employer can determine the right level of support for you, so we recommend gathering as much information as possible.

If you need support, you can always contact us or your employer’s claims service provider.

Information you must provide

The following information is required when you notify your claims service provider of an injury:
  • your name, address, contact telephone number and date of birth
  • name and address of the company where you work
  • date and time of the injury and description of the injury and details of how it happened
  • name and contact details of someone where you work who will be able to discuss your injury (for example human resources (HR) representative or business owner)
  • date when you stopped work
  • if you had time off work, and if medical treatment was required.

Information you can provide if available

The following information is optional, and can be provided if you have it:
  • details of any time off work
  • date of the consultation with the doctor and a diagnosis
  • date when the injury was reported to employer
  • wage information including wages, overtime and allowances
  • your employer's Australian Business Number (ABN), or workers insurance policy number
  • bank details where compensation payments are to be made if required.
  • medical information: medical reports, referral letters, X-rays and scans, medical reimbursement receipts
  • other documents: return to work plans, outstanding invoices.

You may also need some of the following documents

  • NSW workers compensation certificate of capacity - this is a certificate completed by your treating doctor that provides medical evidence regarding the injury or illness you sustained as a result of your employment. See below for more information on getting a NSW workers compensation certificate of capacity.  

Getting a NSW workers compensation certificate of capacity

You must have a valid NSW workers compensation certificate of capacity to ensure you continue receiving any weekly payments and treatment services that you’re entitled you.

The certificate is usually completed by your nominated treating doctor and is the main channel of communication between your doctor, your employer, and your employer’s claims service provider. The information also allows your employer’s claims service provider to:

  • make decisions about your capacity for work and your entitlement to compensation,
  • facilitate a tailored approach to your injury management, and
  • plan for your recovery and return to work.

Your certificate will cover your injury or illness for up to 28 days, unless special circumstances have been agreed by your employer’s claims service provider.

In your certificate, your doctor should identify:

  • your diagnosis and its relationship to employment
  • medical treatment you need
  • your capacity for any work (such as how much and what type of duties you can perform)
  • if a referral to a workplace rehabilitation provider is needed
  • any delays in your recovery
  • details of previous related injuries
  • expected return to work date.

While most of the certificate is completed by your doctor, you will need to sign the following sections: 

  • Injured person’s consent: To allow communication between your treating health practitioner/s, your claims service provider, your employer and any workplace rehabilitation provider about your injury.
  • Employment declaration: To confirm whether you have engaged in any employment (paid, voluntary, or self-employment) since the last certificate of capacity was submitted.

It's your responsibility to have a current certificate so you continue to receive any weekly payments and treatment services you are entitled to.

Time limits for making a workers compensation claim

It's important for you to notify your employer immediately of your injury or illness, so that they can inform their claims service provider.

The Workplace Injury Management and Workers Compensation Act 1998 advises that claims must be made within 6 months of the injury occurring.

If there is a reasonable cause why a claim was not made within 6 months of the injury (such as ignorance, mistake, or absence from the State), a claim can be made within 3 years. If the injury resulted in a death or serious and permanent disablement, a claim can be made more than 3 years from the date of injury.

Any claims made outside of a three year period requires approval from the State Insurance Regulatory Authority. 

For more information and advice on whether you’re able to claim, call the State Insurance Regulatory Authority (SIRA) customer experience team on 13 10 50.

Key contacts for workers compensation insurance claims

If you’d like to speak to us about workers compensation insurance claims, or if you’re looking for your employer’s claims service provider’s contact details,  

Uninsured employers

If you have suffered an injury and have confirmed that your employer does not have a valid workers insurance policy in NSW, please contact us:


 Phone: 1800 221 960  Email:


Phone: 1800 221 960


To determine liability, we may conduct investigations and seek further information.

Investigations can help us determine that:

  • You're a worker as defined by the Workplace Injury Management and Workers Compensation Act 1998 (1998 Act).
  • You were employed by the business you've identified as your employer.
  • The injury you're notifying us of occurred while you were working for the nominated employer, and
  • Your employment is a major contributing factor to the injury.

Normal benefits under the Workers Compensation Legislation 1998 Act apply to claims under these conditions. There are heavy penalties for employers who fail to have a current workers insurance policy. 

Claims Service Provider contact information

    Further information about icare's online injury notification form

  • Can I use icare's online injury notification form?

    Yes, all claims service providers accept new injury notification using icare's online form.

  • Can I use icare's online injury notification form if I'm a NSW Government employee?
    If you're employed by the NSW state government and have been injured at work, please do not use icare's online form. You will need to report your injury to your employer. This workers insurance process will be managed by your employer on your behalf.
  • What happens after I submit the form?

    Please note that lodging an injury notification does not automatically confirm liability. However, once you submit the form, your claims service provider may have enough information to provide provisional support while liability is being determined.

    Provisional support may entitle you to weekly compensation payments for up to 12 weeks, as well as medical treatment of up to $10,000 in total.

    If there are services you may need whilst liability is being determined and you're unsure if you need pre-approval to access them, please don't hesitate to contact your claims service provider or us for further information.  

  • How long does the form take to complete online?

    The time it takes to lodge an injury notification online will depend on your circumstances and the amount of information you need to provide. 

    Generally speaking, a simple injury notification will take around 10 minutes to complete. If you have a lot of information to provide, including documents to upload, please allow around 20-30 minutes to complete the process. 

    You have a maximum of two hours to complete the form, after which, the session will time out and your information will be submitted.

    If you're short on time, you can also provide minimum information in your injury notification and continue to provide information by phone later. 

    You're required to comply with requests for information within seven days. If you don't respond within this time, the claims service provider may discontinue your weekly payments.

  • How long will it take to assess the information I've provided?

    Within three business days of reporting an injury, your claims service provider will have reviewed the information provided and will call you and your employer as required, to find out more about your progress, your injury, or if possible, provide an outcome on any information that's been given.

    Within seven business days a full assessment will have occurred. In most cases, liability will have been determined and you will receive confirmation of the level of support available relative to the assessment. The claims service provider will contact you and your employer at this time.

  • How do I update an existing injury notification or claim a reimbursement?

    EML and QBE – If your claims service provider is EML or QBE, and you’ve already notified them of an injury and have an injury notification number or claim number, you can update your claim online by providing additional documents.

    Allianz and GIO – If your claims service provider is Allianz or GIO, and you lodged your claim after 1 October 2020, you can also update your claim online by providing additional documents. 

    If you lodged your claim with Allianz before 1 August 2020, or before your employer began using icare's system, please continue to provide updates to

    If you lodged your claim with GIO before 1 August 2020, or before your employer began using icare's system, please continue to provide updates to

    If you're unsure who may be looking after your claim, please feel free to contact us for advice.

    Update an existing notification or claim a reimbursement

  • Who will see the information I provide online?

    Information provided through the injury notification form is covered by the icare privacy statement.

    Once you submit the online form, your information will be sent to your employer's claims service provider and you’ll be sent an email confirming they have received your notification.