Work break or journey payments

In some cases, workers insurance can cover you if you’ve been injured on the way to or from work, or during a work break.

If you’ve been injured during a work break or journey, you may be able to make a claim for compensation.

This can include an injury sustained during an ordinary work break, such as morning tea or lunch, or while travelling for the purpose of work.

If you’ve been injured in a motor accident, you may be able to make a claim through the CTP Greenslip program. For more information, visit the SIRA website.

Who can claim

To make a journey, there must be a real and substantial connection between your employment and the accident or incident which resulted in the injury.

If you’re an exempt worker (eg a police officer, paramedic, firefighter, volunteer firefighter or emergency services volunteer) there is no requirement for there to be a real and substantial connection between the accident or incident.

Assess your eligibility

How to make a claim

To lodge a claim you need to fill out the Other work related injuries claim form and return it to the insurer. 

You can contact the insurer if you would like to discuss your situation.

Download SIRA Other Injury Claim Form (PDF, 0.7 MB)

Severe motor accident injuries

If you are severely injured in a motor vehicle accident travelling between your workplace and home, you may be entitled to treatment and care through Lifetime Care.

Learn how we can help