Medical treatment and rehabilitation for severe injuries

If you are have been severely injured in a motor accident or at work in NSW, we can pay for your medical, hospital and rehabilitation costs.

This can include public or private hospital admissions, ambulance services, doctor’s appointments and rehabilitation services such as physiotherapy and occupational therapy.

Who is eligible?

If you’re a Lifetime Care participant or a worker in the Workers Care Program, we can pay for medical treatment and services related to your injury.

How to request medical treatment and rehabilitation

If you’ve been severely injured in a motor accident, we have agreements with NSW Health to pay for your medical treatment and rehabilitation when you are in hospital after your initial injury. Severely injured workers will generally have these costs covered by workers insurance.

When you leave hospital after your injury, your case manager will request most of your future medical treatment and rehabilitation services on your behalf.

Your case manager will help you plan for the future and identify your ongoing support needs.

When your needs are more stable, you may no longer need a case manager. That’s when you can talk to your icare coordinator about any injury-related medical treatment or rehabilitation services that you need.

Get approval from us before you organise any services to make sure they meet icare’s criteria and can be paid for.

Some allied health practitioners need to be approved by the State Insurance Regulatory Authority (SIRA) to provide treatment to workers (including Workers Care participants) under the NSW workers compensation system. They include:

  • physiotherapists
  • chiropractors
  • osteopaths
  • psychologists
  • accredited exercise physiologists
  • appropriately qualified counsellors and social workers. 

If you’re not sure what’s required when choosing a provider, talk to your icare coordinator or case manager.