Workers insurance

If you've been injured at work, you may be eligible to make a claim for workers compensation, and get help with returning to work.

In the first instance, you should notify your employer if you’ve been injured at work. They can help you make a claim, and find ways to support your recovery at work.

You can also contact our customer support services on 13 44 22.

Regardless of which insurer is responsible for your claim, they all have an obligation to support you in your recovery at work and make sure you receive your correct entitlements.

As the nominal insurer for all employers in NSW, we also support workers whose employers are uninsured. That means you can still make a claim for a workplace injury even if your employer doesn’t have workers insurance.

The workers compensation system is designed to help you get back to full participation in work and life. A range of benefits are available to support your recovery at work.

We are working to ensure that every injured worker is provided with the support they need to return to work in good health.

Injuries and illnesses we cover

Depending on your individual claim, and the type, nature and severity of the injury, what benefits and time frames you can claim may vary.

To determine what benefits you can claim, you will need to provide medical evidence indicating you have suffered an injury or illness in the workplace as a result of your employment.

Make a claim now

 What to do if you're injured at work

Everyone’s path to recovery will be different.

  • Immediately after your injury, there are things you and your employer must do
  • If you become injured or ill at work, your employer must provide first aid (where appropriate) and you must seek medical treatment (if required)
  • You must tell your employer that you have a work-related injury as soon as possible after it occurs
  • Your employer must provide you with their insurer’s details
  • Your employer is to notify the insurer about the incident within 48 hours, but you or your representative may also inform the insurer.

When the insurer has been notified, they will contact you, your employer, and if necessary, your doctor to determine how best to support your recovery. The insurer will also provide information about any payments you may be entitled to if you need time off work, are working reduced hours, and/or are in need of medical services.

If you can’t do your normal job, you should ask your doctor and employer about suitable alternative duties to assist your return to work while you recover.

Learn more about recovering at work


If you are eligible, your insurer or employer will provide payments in the form of a weekly benefit or lump sum.

We may also provide support through the payment of medical, hospital and rehabilitation services.

If the worst happens, families can also receive death and funeral payments.

Find out more about payments

Returning to work

We understand when you’re injured at work there are three things that matter: your health, your wellbeing, and returning to work.

Our scheme is based on research and evidence about the health benefits of work.

Returning to work, and where possible, recovering at work after an injury, can help with healing and recovery. This can also reduce any disruptions to you, your family, your employer and co-workers.

We know:

  • the longer you are away from work, the likelihood of you ever returning to work declines
  • staying active after injury reduces pain symptoms and helps you return to your usual activities at home and at work sooner
  • working helps you stay active which is an important part of your treatment and rehabilitation.

Who is involved

There are a number of people you may come in contact with during your recovery. Each has a role in the process, and together they form a support team to help you recover at work.

Your role

Your role is to focus on recovery and aim to stay at work in some capacity, or return to work as soon as possible.

You should develop and maintain clear communication with both your employer and the insurer, and understand the role of each person to get the right help at the right time.

There are services available to help you take an active role in your recovery at work and assist you as your capacity for work increases.

Your employer’s role

Your employer is obligated by law to provide suitable work that matches your capacity and supports your recovery where possible. Your employer will talk to you, the insurer and your doctor to understand your needs. If you work for a large employer, there may be a Return to Work Coordinator, whose role is to assist with your recovery at work. Your employer can’t dismiss you because of your work-related injury within six months of when you first become unfit for work as a result of your injury.

Your case management specialist’s role

If you require time off work, a case management specialist may be assigned to your claim to coordinate all aspects of your claim. This will depend on the severity of your injury and the services required. Their role is to act as your central point of contact, maintain open communication with your employer and treating practitioner, and ensure you receive the right help at the right time.

Your doctor’s role

Your doctor will assess, diagnose, and treat you like any other patient. The doctor will also assess your capacity and support your recovery at work.

The workplace rehabilitation provider’s role

An approved workplace rehabilitation provider may be appointed to your claim, depending on the severity and services required. They are highly experienced experts who can address the physical, functional, psychological and/or workplace barriers that may affect you recovering at work or returning to work.

Severe workplace injuries 

We introduced the icare workers care program to improve the way treatment and care services are delivered to people who are severely injured at work. 

Generally, your case manager at the insurance agent who manages your workers compensation claim will contact us if they think your injury will meet the criteria for the workers care program. If your injury meets the criteria for workers care, we will contact you to let you know. We will also assign you a workers care coordinator.

Workers in the program have their treatment and care needs met under NSW workers compensation legislation through workers care. Their employer’s workers compensation insurance agent continues to manage weekly payments and all other types of compensation. The workers care program began for workers severely injured from 31 October 2015.

Workers who sustained severe workplace injuries before 31 October 2015 have now also had the management of their treatment and care transferred to workers care.