At icare, we deliver world-class insurance and care services to the businesses, people and communities of NSW.
Whether a person is severely injured in the workplace or on our roads, icare supports their long-term care needs to improve quality of life, including helping people return to work.
We also insure more than 284,000 NSW employers and their 3.4 million employees. With more than $32 billion in assets, we are one of the largest insurance providers in Australia.
We’re made up of six schemes that are committed to delivering better cover, treatment and care to the people of NSW.
We are passionate about changing people's lives by being there for them when they need us most. Our aspiration is to create the best possible outcome for every person and organisation we serve, delivered through a fair, respectful and empathetic experience that is focused on the person not the process.
The icare story
Learn more about who we are
0:01 Insurance and Care New South Wales, known as icare, is a new organisation that has been created to deliver the insurance and care schemes for the New South Wales community.
0:10 icare includes a number of business lines who protect, insure and support by offering simple and affordable insurance.
0:18 Return to work solutions and care for people who have been severely injured in their work place or on the roads.
0:24 Based on assets and liabilities icare is the largest general insurance service provider in Australia.
0:30 An organisation that puts people before profit. But who really cares?
0:37 I care.
0:40 I care because in everything that me and my team do, we have an opportunity to make a difference to the quality of people’s lives.
0:46 icare is an organisation which puts people at the centre of everything it does.
0:52 I care that the employers of New South Wales understand the value they get from icare Workers Insurance
0:57 I care about providing affordable insurance for the building of infrastructure of New South Wales.
1:02 I care that our Builders Warranty Team provide a safety net for the home owners of New South Wales.
1:08 I care about where my life is going in the future.
1:12 I care about my independence. Since I was injured Lifetime Care and Support have helped me get that.
1:17 Not just in my home but when I’m out and about.
1:18 We show that we care for them in everything we do.
1:21 I care and am committed to delivering fairer, more sustainable compensation schemes with a focus on the injured person. Not the process.
1:30 I care about leading an organisation that our community is proud of.
1:45 It’s an industry that makes all other industries insignificant, to me anyway.
- 3.4 million workers protected across more than 284,000 NSW businesses. icare workers insurance administers the Nominal Insurer, a private sector insurer responsible for providing workers compensation insurance to any NSW employer. It is the single largest workers compensation insurer in NSW with a 70% market share.
- 1.7 billion in benefits, medical expenses and return-to-work solutions paid to injured workers. icare workers insurance and icare self insurance ensure that every person who is injured at work is given the treatment, support and care they need to sustainably return to work and their community.
- $180 billion of the State's assets covered. icare self insurance, through sicorp, is the largest public sector self-insurer in Australia. It administers a number of managed funds for NSW government agencies and their employees.
- $114.8 million in treatment, rehabilitation and care services for lifetime care participants. icare lifetime care provides treatment, rehabilitation and care for people who are severely injured in motor accidents in NSW, regardless of who was at fault.
- $91.1 million in benefits paid to people with work-related dust disease. icare dust diseases care provides compensation for people with work-related dust diseases and their dependents, as well as ongoing assistance to support their quality of life.
- $14.6 billion in residential projects insured. icare hbcf provides a safety net for homeowners if building contractors are unable to honor their commitments due to insolvency, death or suspension of license.
- icare dust diseases care: Providing treatment and compensation for injured workers with a dust disease
- icare hbcf: Providing a safety net for homeowners through the Home Building Compensation Fund
- icare lifetime care: Providing treatment and care for people who are severely injured in a NSW motor accident through the Lifetime Care and Support Scheme
- icare self insurance: Providing self insurance to NSW Government Agencies through the Treasury Managed Fund (state’s self insurance fund) and other managed funds
- icare workers insurance: Providing workers insurance cover to 284,000 employers and 3.4 million employees
- icare sports insurance: Providing no-fault cover to sporting groups under the NSW Sporting Injuries Insurance Scheme
icare was formed in September 2015 through the commencement of the State Insurance and Care Governance Act.
This Act also enabled the creation of two other government organisations to promote a simple, efficient and engaging experience for the people of NSW:
- State Insurance Regulatory Authority (SIRA): an independent insurance regulator
- SafeWork NSW: an independent workplace safety regulator
The separation of these insurance functions was recommended through reviews and inquiries to resolve the inherent conflict between regulatory and service delivery functions and created a clear distinction between regulation and operations.
icare operates as a Public Financial Corporation governed by an independent Board of Directors that delivers insurance and care services to the people of New South Wales.Our Board is directly accountable to the Hon. Dominic Perrottet MP, NSW Treasurer. The Treasurer appoints the Board, who in turn appoints the Chief Executive Officer and employs all our people.
We’re committed to building a culture of inclusion and diversity of thought.
Our Inclusion & Diversity Strategy 2017-2019 outlines our principles based approach and is supported by detailed plans, including our Disability Inclusion Action Plan and Multicultural plan, that challenge us to consider inclusion and diversity in everything we do.