Frequently asked questions

Common questions injured workers have about mental health claims.

If you don't see an answer you're looking for, please let us know via the Did you find what you were looking for? section at the bottom of this page.

If your request is urgent, please reach out to your Claims Service Provider.

  • English is not my native language, what support is available to me?

    If you would prefer to communicate with your case manager and other stakeholders on the claim in your native language, a translator can be arranged prior to each call. Please speak to your case manager and they can make the arrangements for you.

    There is an option to view the content on the Mental Health Claims Hub (or any other information on the icare website) in your preferred language. This can be done by clicking on 'Languages' at the top of the webpage when viewing on a computer or tablet and selecting your preferred language, or by selecting your preferred language from the main menu when in mobile view.

  • Am I required to speak with my case manager?

    For your case manager to effectively manage your claim, it is best if they can speak to yourself and your treatment team directly.

    We understand in some instances that your mental health condition can make it difficult to engage in direct contact.

    You can request a communication plan where you can set a preferred day, time, and frequency for calls to occur. To discuss the implementation of a communication plan, please speak with your case manager. 

  • Can I nominate someone to act on my behalf for my claim?

    Yes, that is possible. You will need to complete a third-party authority form. Your case manager can send you one of these to complete if you would prefer someone else speak on your behalf.

    Whilst we support your preferences on the claim, it's important to ensure there is an open line of communication between your nominated support person and your case manager.

    Your case manager will periodically check in with you to see if your communication plan remains appropriate and can adjust as you need.

  • How do I get paid if I am no longer communicating with, or will not be able to return to my pre-injury employer?

    If you will not be returning to your pre-injury employer, your Claims Service Provider will take over payments to you until you source new employment.

    Your case manager will ask you to complete an EFT form and provide your tax file number.

    If you have a preferred day of payment, please discuss this with your case manager so they can set up a payment plan on their system.

  • What if my employer can't facilitate suitable duties in my pre-injury role?

    Your employer is obligated to source suitable duties to facilitate your return to work. Your employer should try to find alternative duties that align with your capacity, any restrictions you may have, and operational demands of the business. In some instances, it will not be possible for them to provide suitable duties.

    Once all options have been exhausted at your pre-injury employer, it may be time to consider other options, such as a work trial, that allow you to build your capacity and experience. You could also explore opportunities with a new employer.

    Engaging with a rehabilitation provider can be beneficial to assist you through this process – they are experienced in assisting individuals with an injury on their return to work journey.

  • How do I find a SIRA-accredited (State Insurance Regulatory Authority) psychologist?

    For treatment with a psychologist to be paid under your claim, the psychologist must be SIRA-accredited.

    Search for a SIRA-accredited psychologist

  • How do I pay for a lawyer or access a lawyer?

    You can seek legal advice from a lawyer of your choice at any point in the claim.

    You are entitled to legal support when addressing disputes on your claim. The Independent Review Office (IRO) manages the Independent Legal Assistance and Review Service (ILARS) which provides funding for lawyers engaged by injured workers to act on their behalf.

    The lawyer will review the matter and will apply to ILARS for a grant to cover the legal fees involved, and where necessary, other expenses such as medical reports.

    Different legal fee arrangements exist for work injury damages claims. Your lawyer will be able to provide you with more information on these fees. 

  • My treatment has been declined, what can I do?

    If your Claims Service Provider has made a decision not to support your request for treatment, you are entitled to have this decision reviewed

    Alternatively, when your Claims Service Provider communicates their decision, your options for seeking a review should be detailed with their decision notice.

    If you require services that cannot be paid for as part of your claim, we recommend discussing this with your treatment team to explore if there are other, more suitable services outside of workers compensation that can assist with your request for treatment.

    For example, if you require psychological treatment that is not considered to be related to your workplace injury, your nominated treating doctor may be able to provide you with a Mental Health Care Plan under Medicare. 

Tagged in: