Who will you interact with?

Throughout the life of your claim your treatment team may change to suit your needs. For psychological injuries, you will most commonly be treated by a nominated treating doctor and a psychologist.

On this page

Key takeaways

  • Your treatment team may change throughout the life of your claim to continue to meet your needs.
  • Psychological injuries are most commonly treated by a nominated treating doctor (NTD) and a psychologist.
  • If more specialised treatment is required, your NTD may also consider a referral to a psychiatrist.
  • There is an expectation that each of your treatment providers will collaborate to ensure you are receiving the most appropriate treatment to facilitate your recovery.
Back to top ⇡

Nominated treating doctor

Nominated treating doctor (NTD) are often the first port of call for people seeking help with a workplace injury.

The role of your NTD includes:

  • Complete your certificate of capacity every 28 days.
  • Identifying barriers and potential psychosocial risk (non-injury related) factors that may delay recovery and prevent return to work.
  • Collaborating with yourself, the insurer, employer and other service providers to develop plans that assist your return to and recovery at work.
  • Participating in the development of an Injury Management Plan.
  • Prescribing medication where necessary.
  • Providing information to the insurer regarding your capacity and treatment needs.
  • Participating in medical case conferences where necessary.

You can decide who your Nominated Treating Doctor is for your claim. Some workers may use their usual General Practitioner, whilst others may elect to have a separate doctor who has experience in workers compensation.

Where possible, it's important to have a doctor who is consistent during your recovery. 

Back to top ⇡


A psychologist is an allied health professional who has the professional training and clinical skills to help individuals to learn how to cope more effectively with their mental health.

A psychologist's role may involve:

  • Setting expectations from the first review regarding your recovery at work and return to work, active participation in recovery, planning and treatment.
  • Providing information to inform or confirm a diagnosis and appropriate treatment strategies.
  • Obtaining the relevant information from your support team to assist with goal setting.
  • Providing information to the support team (claims service provider and rehabilitation consultants) regarding your progress and capacity for work.
  • Educating all parties about the health benefits of good work.
  • Improving your independence and participation in your home and community.

Psychologists who provide a service to injured workers on a workers compensation claim need to be approved by the State Insurance Regulatory Authority (SIRA).

Find SIRA-approved psychologists in your area

To start treatment, your doctor will need to provide you with a referral form.

Back to top ⇡


A psychiatrist is a medical practitioner who specialises in the diagnosis and treatment of mental illness. Your doctor may refer you to a psychiatrist if you are experiencing severe symptoms, are not responding to the medication prescribed by your doctor, or if there is a lack of progress in response to your psychological therapy.

Psychiatrists will:

  • Provide a diagnosis for psychological/psychiatric conditions.
  • Prescribe medication.
  • If necessary, provide treatment such as psychotherapy.
  • Develop a comprehensive treatment plan.
  • Provide the necessary information to the treatment team and claims service provider.
  • Collaborate with the NTD.
Back to top ⇡

Working together

Collectively, your treatment team will:

  • Communicate together to discuss your diagnosis, your current and proposed treatment and how this treatment will aid recovery and help you to gradually build capacity for work.
  • Provide recommendations for your capacity for work and any restrictions you may have.
  • Where appropriate, have discussions with your employer, or your assigned rehabilitation provider to discuss your pre-injury role and the tasks involved as well as the availability of suitable work with your employer.
  • Identify any risks, work-related or non-work-related, that may have an impact on your recovery.
  • Offer education around the benefits of recovery at work.
  • Discuss expectations around your capacity.
  • Communicate with the insurer, for example via the submission of medical reports.
  • Provide input for your Injury Management Plan.
  • Where appropriate, participate in medical case conferences.
  • Participate in discussions with the independent consultants.

You can change Nominated Treating Doctor or specialist at any point throughout your claim. You'll need to notify your claims service provider of the change, including the reasons why you are changing practitioners and the details of your new treatment provider.

Back to top ⇡
Tagged in: