Right to information

How we provide information under the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009.

What is the GIPA Act?

The Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 (GIPA Act) gives you the right to access government information you ask for, unless there is an overriding public interest against release.

What is government information?

Government information is any record held by an agency, a private sector entity or the State Records Authority to which the agency has an immediate right of access, or a record that is in the possession or under the control of a person in his or her capacity as an officer of the agency. A record means any document or other source of information compiled, recorded or stored in written form or by electronic process, or in any other manner or by any other means.

At Insurance & Care NSW (icare) we deliver on the State’s insurance and care schemes.

The following agencies are part of icare:

  • Insurance for NSW
  • Workers Insurance
  • Lifetime Care
  • Sporting Injuries Insurance
  • Dust Diseases Care
  • hbcf

As the largest general insurance service provider in Australia, we deal with lots of documents. Most of our documents are about providing our core services of:

  • Workers compensation insurance for injured workers
  • Lifetime care for those severely injured in motor accidents
  • Dust diseases care
  • State self-insurance
  • Home building insurance

You can learn more about the free information on our website by viewing the open access information section below. You can also search the website for information already available to the public.

If you want more specific information that isn’t published on our website, you may lodge a formal access application to us. More information about this process can be found below.

Open access information

We publish a range of information in a readily accessible format. We will also proactively release information that may be of interest to the public.

The following open access information is available free of charge:

We are currently developing many other materials and policies. For further information about our open access information please contact our GIPA Officer at gipa@icare.nsw.gov.au.

View the Public Access Disclosure Log

We update our Disclosure Log each quarter. It lists information we've released in response to formal access applications under the GIPA Act that may be of interest to the public.

You can access this information without formal application by contacting the GIPA Officer via email gipa@icare.nsw.gov.au.

How to apply for information

Specific information can be requested, with information to be potentially released without the need for a formal application, unless it is determined one is required.

If you need to make a formal request for information, please complete the following form:

Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 Access Application Form

Send your completed form along with the $30 application fee (cheque or money order payable to icare) to:
Government Information (Public Access) Officer
GPO Box 4052 Sydney
NSW 2001

Please contact the GIPA Officer via email gipa@icare.nsw.gov.au if you have any questions about lodging an application.

We'll notify you of a decision about your application in 20 working days, unless you agree to extend the time. We may extend the processing time if we need to consult with a third party or access records from archives.

To ensure you get the information you need, please be as specific as possible. For example, if you know the date or title of the document, claim number, participant number, date of injury, employers name, scheme agent you want, include this information on your application form.

Right to review

You have the right to request a review of certain decisions we make about the release of information.

The application fee to have a decision reviewed is $40 except where the review arises because the application was not decided within time or the review is recommended by the Information Commissioner.

There is no additional processing charge for reviews of decisions.

To request a review of a decision, complete the following form:

Internal review application form

Find out more about your review rights from the Information and Privacy Commission website.