Our assessment processOnce you submit your application with all relevant forms listed above, we can assess your eligibility for care.
We aim to process all applications within 60 working days.
Factors that can influence the time it takes include:
- Whether you provide us with the information required to enable us to assess your application and make a decision
- Whether the independent medical panel requires further information to establish that your dust disease resulted from exposure to hazardous dusts at a place of employment in New South Wales
- Whether the disability you are living with is complicated by any other factors such as exposure outside of New South Wales, or other diseases or non-occupational exposure
- Whether you are a worker under the Workplace Injury Management and Workers' Compensation Act 1987 or the Workers' Compensation Act 1926
- Whether you are an eligible dependant and have provided us with sufficient information to enable us to assess your application and determine whether you were dependent for support on the worker
Assessment process for workers
After submitting your application, you may be interviewed by one of our industrial history officers after they have gathered information on your exposure to hazardous dusts at work.
Your application is then reviewed by an independent medical panel. They determine if you have a compensable dust disease, and if so, the level of related disability and the proportion of exposure due to working in NSW.
A decision is made on whether you are eligible. We will inform you of our decision by phone, and then send you written confirmation.
Assessment process for eligible dependants
After you have submitted your application, it is reviewed by an independent medical panel to determine if your family member’s passing was associated with their dust disease.
We then calculate your compensation payments as outlined in the legislation.
A final decision is then made on whether you are eligible. We will inform you of our decision by phone, and then send you written confirmation.