Building and maintaining a mentally healthy workplace is an important part of keeping your people safe, and it can be difficult to know where to start.
icare runs the accredited Standard Mental Health First Aid course for NSW employers interested in learning more about having good mental health conversations in the workplace.
The MHFA course teaches you how to provide immediate assistance to someone who may be developing a mental health problem, experiencing a worsening of an existing mental health problem or experiencing a mental health crisis. The first aid is given until appropriate professional help is received or the crisis resolves.
- Mental health problems in Australia
- Mental Health First Aid Action Plan
- Mental health illnesses including depression, anxiety problems and psychosis and substance use problems
- Mental health crises including suicidal thoughts, panic attack, traumatic event, severe psychotic state and aggressive behaviour
- How to guide a person to support.
This two-day accredited training course will guide you through the signs and symptoms associated with common mental health illnesses, how to guide a person towards appropriate support, and will provide you with the skills to feel more confident to have mental health conversations in the workplace.
MHFA program at icare
icare offers the MHFA program at no cost to our customers to encourage them to foster positive mental health conversations in the workplace. We aim to ensure a cross-section of businesses and industries are present at each session to inspire learning and sharing across our customers’ experiences.
Who can attend?
Any icare customer is welcome to register up to two participants. We recommend the course is attended by people in the organisation with the following roles or responsibilities:
- People management and leadership
- Injury prevention and management
- Safety representatives.
How do I access the course?
icare runs the MHFA course on a quarterly basis at our Sydney office as well as regional areas throughout the year. It is run over a two-day period and is open to icare customers who would like to know more about Mental Health First Aid.
Important information about the course
- Spaces for this program are limited and fill quickly. We are able to offer 2 places per customer.
- You are required to attend the entire two days of training to be eligible to become an accredited MHFAider.
Here's what some of our recent participants thought of the course...
"I found the course valuable, it has strengthened my confidence in managing mental health issues within the workplace."
"It's pretty empowering. I'm keen to explore within my organisation how we best utilise the knowledge from this course as well identifying other staff members who would benefit from attending."
"Lots of easy and practical information and skills that we can use in our everyday interaction with people in the workplace."