Safety and the importance of culture
A safer workplace starts with a good culture. Values and attitudes in the workplace can impact on health and safety behaviours, which in turn can impact on injury and illness in the workplace. While its not the only aspect of the work environment that needs attention, it is a critical layer of defence for preventing workplace injuries.
A culture survey is widely accepted as the best analytical approach to understanding workplace culture. The survey, developed by icare and validated by Griffith University, asks a series of questions that measure culture across five areas of your business:
- interpersonal relationships
- guidelines, procedures and resources
Your Injury Prevention Specialist will work with your business to facilitate the survey. You will be provided with a personalised culture dashboard with the results, which we will help you understand and use to form the basis of a culture change program.icare Culture Survey (PDF, 0.1 MB)
Protect Together (P2)
P2 is a voluntary injury prevention program for NSW businesses that most need support with reducing injuries in the workplace. It offers you the opportunity to work with icare to develop practical improvements in injury prevention for your business.
Why Protect Together?
- Diagnostic tools to guide you - we use these to identify what work can be done to improve injury prevention at your workplace.
- Access to subject matter experts - to work with you to design an improvement plan for injury prevention.
- An action plan - we'll work with you to create an injury action plan using the insights from the diagnostic process.
- Ongoing mentoring - we'll partner with you over the next 12 to 24 months to help you achieve your goals.
Here's how it works:
- Commit: Your Injury Prevention Specialist will meet with you to discuss P2. If you’d like to participate you'll be asked to commit to the program.
- Insights: Your Injury Prevention Specialist will visit your business to conduct a diagnostic assessment. We’ll identify factors that impact health and safety in your workplace.
- Plan: We'll work with you to understand your priorities and develop an action plan suited to your business.
- Action: We’ll monitor implementation of your action plan and guide you on your injury prevention journey well into the future.
Want to know more?
Contact your Injury Prevention Specialist directly or send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Creating Mentally Healthy Workplaces
Mental Health First Aid course (MHFA)
Building and maintaining a mentally healthy workplace is an important part of keeping your people safe, but it can be difficult to know where to start.
icare runs a Mental Health First Aid course on a quarterly basis for NSW employers interested in learning more about mental health in the workplace. The course will guide you through the signs and symptoms associated with common mental health illnesses, as well as how to help someone who may be experiencing a mental health problem using a practical, evidence-based Action Plan.
Here's what some of our recent participants thought of the course ...
“I found the course valuable, it has strengthened my confidence in managing mental health issues within the workplace.”
“It's pretty empowering. I'm keen to explore within my organisation how we best utilise the knowledge from this course as well identifying other staff members who would benefit from attending.”
“Lots of easy and practical information and skills that we can use in our everyday interaction with people in the workplace.”
Next available course: 28 & 29 November 2019