icare (Insurance & Care NSW) is a Public Financial Corporation governed by an independent Board of Directors that delivers insurance and care services to the people of New South Wales. Whether a person is severely injured in the workplace or on our roads, icare supports their long-term care needs to improve quality of life outcomes, including helping people return to work.
icare was created in September 2015 through the commencement of the State Insurance and Care Governance Act. Our legislation establishes our Board and their role in governing icare.
Our Board of Directors consists of the Chief Executive Officer and eight Non-Executive Directors who provide leadership as well as a wealth of expertise and experience. The Board is directly accountable to the Hon. Matt Kean, Minister for Innovation & Better Regulation. The Minister appoints the Board, who in turn appoints the Chief Executive Officer and employs all our people.
icare insures more than 284,000 NSW employers and their 3.4 million employees. With more than $32 billion in assets, we are one of the largest insurance providers in Australia.
Through our five service lines we deliver insurance and care services to the following schemes:
- icare dust diseases care - Dust Diseases Scheme
- icare hbcf - Home Building Compensation Fund
- icare lifetime care - Lifetime Care and Support Scheme
- icare self insurance - Treasury Managed Fund (state’s self insurance fund)
- icare workers insurance - NSW Workers Compensation Scheme and NSW Sporting Injuries Compensation Scheme